Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30498] Add support for new avr devices (atmega32

From: David Ford
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30498] Add support for new avr devices (atmega324pa)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:49:14 -0400

i think the alias idea is good but i'd do it differently. a part is
derived from another part name. any additional configuration overrides
the original configuration. if there's no additional configuration, it's
exactly the same except as an aliased name. this is more of a class
extension concept rather than an alias. this has the potential to
significantly compact avrdude.conf as there are numerous chips which are
nearly identical except for a few differences. a chip family is defined
based on the most common properties, and each member is then derived
from that.

[part]
parent = [parent]
[configuration that adds, or replaces, information derived from the parent]

-d