[avrdude-dev] [patch #7559] 'arduino' programmer type DTR transition fix

From: David A. Mellis
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7559] 'arduino' programmer type DTR transition fix
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:59:17 +0000

Follow-up Comment #16, patch #7559 (project avrdude):

Have you checked the behavior on Windows?  There, I believe that a call to
ser_set_dtr_rts(1) brings the lines low and 0 brings the line high.  So patch
#7100 brought the two OS's (Windows and Posix) into alignment: i.e.
interpreting a 1 to mean "set the corresponding bit in the control register",
which, on both operating systems, sets the physical line low.  But someone
should probably verify this, since it's been a while since I tested it and my
notes are a bit obscure.

If I'm right, then I believe the current behavior (in SVN) is correct: it's
consistent between operating systems, uses the OS interpretation of the
meaning of "set the line" (i.e. bringing it low), and correctly resets Arduino
boards (which is, after all, the goal).

Maybe we just need to clarify with better comments the behavior of the
ser_set_dtr_rts() function (i.e. that a logical 1 means a low level on the
physical line and vice-versa)?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7559>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/