Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Avrdude GUI and Avr Studio Plugin

From: Doug Brown
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Avrdude GUI and Avr Studio Plugin
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:25:14 +1000

>> Alas, it looks like it's C++ (only).
So is wxWidgets.

>> That would mean to convert AVRDUDE into C++.
Only the main.c (main.cpp rather) and the GUI part would be C++. All the
library parts would be called by their C functions.

>> Not a bad thing as such (it would allow to implement a lot of things much
cleaner)
True.
>> The key point is to define a good, usable, and extensible structure, i.e.
an XSD schema the XML file(s) can be validated against.
TinyXML++ can't handle schemas per say, but if as you said the schema is
just for prevalidation it might be alright.

>> It's correct that the AVRDUDE application "in the field" does not have to
validate the XML file, but during the development, an XML schema should be
there the file can be validated against.
Won't every field read from the configuration file will have to be validated
every time it's loaded (just not against the schema)? I mean, if you're
expect the element name to be of a predefined set and that value field
contains data of the same type as the variable it will be assigned to...
>> If we continue allocating entries "ad hoc"
Do you suggest the current conf file elements be translated into something
neater? Or just for future additions?