Re: [avrdude-dev] Adding a new programmer type to AVRDUDE

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Adding a new programmer type to AVRDUDE
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:56:24 +0100

As Doug Brown wrote:

> Should I have some inane
> questions, do I just spray them at everyone on avrdude-dev or is there
> some other way this is done?

This list here is fine.  It's for people developing something in or
together with AVRDUDE.

> The programmer uses is an HID class device and data in transferred
> over interrupt endpoints; libusb-win32 can't hack this (it's v. easy
> to use the win32 API tho). I take it that libusb is the way to go for
> the *nixes though.

Sure, libusb can handle interrupt transfers as well, it's just the
usb_libusb.c implementation in AVRDUDE doesn't use it.  But nothing
prevents you from using direct calls into libusb within a programmer
implementation itself.

I always find it amusing what kind of device suddenly qualifies as
"human interface" ;-), just and only because Microsoft didn't manage
it to ship a generic USB driver along with Windows.

You might be interested in having a look at the AVRdoper
implementation.  It uses the Win32 native HID library on Win32, and
libusb on anything else.