[avrdude-dev] [patch #7062] avrftdi - FTDI FT2232 based ISP programmer

From: Hannes Weisbach
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7062] avrftdi - FTDI FT2232 based ISP programmer
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:45:12 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, patch #7062 (project avrdude):

>Curious, are you aware of patch #6502? I'm not sure whether patch
Yes. this patch is based on a very early version of avrftdi, reworken by
Ville.
I decided to open a new patch, because there are like 3 revisions of avrdude
in between and countless changes/improvements on avrftdi. I hope that wasn't
wrong.

>#6886 also tries to implement something similar or not. (I think it
>s different because it works on an FT232 rather than an FT2232 only.)
I am also aware of this patch, however bitbanging just plain s****, beacuse
it's awfully slow. Also #6886 DOES rely on the closed source driver (as i
understand it).
avrftdi uses the FT2232 MPSSE engine to speed things up quite a bit.

>My main concern with that kind of patches (as I understand it) is that
>it depends on a closed-source driver that is not available for all
>platforms AVRDUDE is known to work on. I wish it would be possible to
>use it on just libusb...
I understand that concern. However there are 2 drivers for ftdi-devices:
the above-mentioned ftd2xx (the closed source-binary distributed by ftdi) and
an open source driver called libftdi (LGPL, i think), which avrftdi uses.
libftdi uses libusb and sould therefor run everywhere, where libusb works.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7062>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/