[avrdude-dev] Re: jtagmkII_close(): bad response to GO command: RSP_ILL

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: jtagmkII_close(): bad response to GO command: RSP_ILLEGAL_EMULATOR_MODE
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:47:45 -0700

2009/11/17 Shaun Jackman <address@hidden>:
> I am using a Atmel JTAG ICE mkII with a AT90PWM316. Whenever avrdude
> exits, it prints the following error message:
>
> avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): bad response to GO command:

RSP_ILLEGAL_EMULATOR_MODE
The application note AVR067 says that

CMND_GO
RSP_ILLEGAL_EMULATOR_MODE
The operation cannot be performed in this emulator mode. (JTAG / DebugWire).

My target is the AT90PWM316, which supports ISP and DebugWire, but not
JTAG. I believe I'm operating in ISP mode and not DebugWire mode.
Shouldn't this command be supported in this configuration?

Cheers,
Shaun