Re: [avrdude-dev] GUI using Lib

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] GUI using Lib
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:29:46 -0500

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Odd Arild Olsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is the problem the options the GUI provides or is it a fundamental problem
> with using the avrdude command line interface instead of accessing library
> function?

There are two levels of problems with the current GUI implimentation,
mentioned
in the previous message.

1) The GUI is good at setup up the command line for avrdude, no significant
problems there.  Some newer flags, and XMega are missing.
Once the the GUI forks avrdude the GUI doesn't have
good feed back about the progress of operation, particuallry errors that
come up.

Forking the command line version is a deadend path for anyone thinking along
those lines of development.

2) No existing version of avrdude, command line or otherwise is really
suited
to the production floor, where people that can almost tell a AVR-Chip from a
Potato-Chip.
Currently I'm using DOS batch files to hand this, while working, it is not
easy to maintain.

I have slowly been hacking on a wxWidgets GUI, but due to some health
problems of my
Father (I'm setting here at his computer now; Eleder Care is one of those
hidden social issued exploding on the scean these days as our parents age)
progress has been almost non-existant.

I have got as far as parsing things out of a project .zip file, and using
that code
in a bootloader.  Each project contains .hex files for flash/EEPROM, a .ini
file that points
to file names for HTML instructions that come up in a HTML Window, so you
can show the Potato-Chip users "hook it up like this picture".  Someone is
already
wondering why a .ini file rather than a XML file.  This is because other
people
that have never worked with XML are setting up our projects.

Also I got as far as parsing all of the AVRStudios XML's into a single large
XML file,
that puts everything in a standardized format regardless of the AVR type,
and
has no distrubuition restrictions.  Needed this file to emulate the
programmer section
of AVRStudio.  Code for that can be found here, as well as the resultant
file:

http://www.designer-iii.com/AVR/PartDescriptionXMLAggregator/

Still needs some polish, has issues when you add a new device.

Joerg already does have avrdude mostly setup as a library at this point,
as he mentioned.  Only issue is working out a callback method for feedback
and progress messages back to the GUI.  It needs to be workable with
your favorite toolkit be it in C, C++, Python, Erlang etc.

The library can be built with Mingw,
not sure why we would need a DLL as someone mentioned?

I'm at bit of loss as to why avrdude would be needed as plugin to AVRStudio?
Anytime I've wanted to use avrdude it was because I did not want to, or
could
not, install Studio.  I've found Studio Programmer section
better at debugging chip programmings problems than using avrdude.

--
http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/
http://www.softwaresafety.net/