[avrdude-dev] [patch #6530] Arduino improvement

From: David A. Mellis
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #6530] Arduino improvement
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 22:26:22 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, patch #6530 (project avrdude):

Here are a few extra details.

The Arduino board comes with an ATmega168 pre-loaded with an stk500 (v1)
compatible bootloader.  To save space, the bootloader doesn't respond to the
universal spi command, but does respond to the specific device signature
request.  To upload programs to the board, we originally used uisp, which uses
the specific device signature request command.  avrdude, on the other hand,
reads the device signature using the universal spi command, which our
bootloader didn't support.  Since we'd already sold many boards to users
without their own ISPs, I patched avrdude to use the device signature command
instead of the universal spi command to read the device signature.  We
distribute a patched version of avrdude with Arduino, but it's inconvenient
for Linux users who would prefer to use the standard avrdude package from
their distribution.

Is there any reason not to use the more specific device signature command
rather than the universal spi command?

I'd love to get this patch accepted, so please let me know if there are any
changes or fixes you'd like to see.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6530>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/