Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:40:33 -0800

Weddington, Eric wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden
rg] On Behalf Of Ville Voipio
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:08 AM
Cc: avrdude-dev

Well the ELF file is certainly not intended for something like that
(adding HTML, PDF, whatever), and never will be. But the
point is that
now the ELF file contains the fuse and lockbit information, which it
didn't before. The ELF file now has everything concerning the
*application* itself.
I agree, and I think this is a very good thing. But then I am coming back to what I said earlier:

In _factory floor use_ it is essential to have some instructions for the people doing the actual work. If the instructions are sent in a separate file, they get lost, and sooner or later the instructions and the programming files are somehow not pairs.

So, then the reasonable solution is to squeeze both files in a single .zip-file which can be easily e-mailed to the factory.

I hope this clarifies why I was talking about the .zip bundle.

Sure, but this places out of the scope of avrdude, or any other part of
the toolchain.

Why is it out of scope? Do you want a tool that solves peoples' real problems, or do you want eye candy?

Something I mentioned a while back that seems to have been lost in the noise is the idea of implementing the gui front-end as a web browser interface. If we did that, then the "factory floor gui" becomes a(n) end-user written web page(s) that can show arbitrary pictures and so forth, and can drive the programming process through either a browser plug-in interface or an HTTP service interface.

-dave