Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Gui problem
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:45:10 -0800

Weddington, Eric wrote:

- Fuse settings (as you mentioned)
- Beginning user, who needs the comfort of a GUI. University student
first learning embedded systems. Electronic tech on the factory floor
who is not as comfortable with a CLI.

Factory floor is something I hadn't been thinking about. That puts an entirely different twist on it in my mind. For that environment I would argue that you would want to be able to customize the gui at least to the extent of turning off stuff that isn't needed. At minimum, a configuration file (XML again?) that presets certain options, and/or grays out certain options. Maybe you need multiple configuration files, so the user (factory tech) is presented with a menu of product names/numbers and the gui gets preset according to that product definition file.

Avrdude on rails.

Besides, it seems that it is a difficult challenge. There have been
several people who have tried to build a GUI for avrdude and have failed
for one reason or another. I'm beginning to think that it can't be done.
;-)

I've seen that fly before, and this fish is too smart :) Tie on another one.

-dave