[avrdude-dev] Re: [bug #22248] Read efuse error

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [bug #22248] Read efuse error
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:49:10 +0100

As Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> When browsing avrdude.conf, I noticed that we are currently not very
> consistent about the unused bits in efuse.  Some devices always read
> (and display) 8 bits including the unused ones, and only mask bits
> off when writing.  Other devices (like the ATmega88/168 you are
> perhaps using) apply the mask as applicable for the respective
> device even when reading.  We should probably make that consistent.

I'd like to hear other users'/developers' opinions about *which*
direction to make this consistent into.  Should we:

[ ]  Use 'x' consistently for all efuse bits that are not defined for
     a particular part, or
[ ]  always use 'i' for all bit positions of the entire efuse byte?

(I think lfuse and hfuse are always a full byte.  Otherwise, this
question would extend to them as well.)