Re: [avrdude-dev] [task #5093] Add support for reading ELF files.

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [task #5093] Add support for reading ELF files.
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 13:49:00 -0300

Hello,

For the namespace vs. offset:

Are you allowed to use both? aka can I pull the "magic offset" from some known
non-changing section?

The code would then do this:

--Look for section .eeprom
--Get address of .eeprom starting
--Check rest of ELF file for anything else that fits in the same address space
--Use those sections too

Which could make just one ".fuse" memory section that contains the three
bytes. Or it could possible be renamed something more general purpose, such
as ".hardware" or whatnot. Then we could fit the processor type, signature
bytes, etc all in there.

Of course this would *not* work with HEX files or whatnot. So maybe it would
just be taking the worst of both approaches?

> Do they need it?  Don't they simply want to program *all* fuse bytes?

You absolutely *must* be able to program a single fuse byte IMO. If a new user
needs to specify all three fuse bytes, they might screw up some of the others
or just put in 0xff to make the toolchain happy.

That way you just change what you need...

I also plan on the "magic" mode of avrdude having it see if the fuses need to
be changed, and only changing them if they differ. So if the user can say
they don't care about a certain fuse that's even easier.

Regards,

 -Colin