Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR Dragon with OS X Intel Machine

From: James Snyder
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR Dragon with OS X Intel Machine
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:15:39 -0500

I've checked and I'm currently using the latest stable version of libusb (0.1.12). I've tried it again, and this time I've had some degree of success. The only difference I can think of is whether or not I had the ISP cable connected to the target when the dragon was powered up. I'm trying to program an atmega8515 that came with the STK500 kit. I can program over an FTDI serial-usb connector to the stk drictly using the mac, but the dragon still doesn't want to talk to things consistently. I've disabled the reset jumper on the stk500, and attached the ISP connector between he two boards (for the appropriate programming socket).

Now when I try to program through the dragon I get a different decvice signature each time I try to connect to the AVR (chip isn't fried or wacky, things work when I slip back over to using the serial connector).

I've attached one of the logs. The device signature never matches up with the legitimate one, though some of the bytes usually match.

Best, and thanks for the reply.  I highly appreciate any aid :-)

-jsnyder

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As James Snyder wrote:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found AVRDRAGON, serno: 00A20000250D
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync()
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): Sending sign-on command:
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 1 bytes
avrdude: Sent: . [1b] . [00] . [00] . [01] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [0e] . [01] .
[f3] . [97]
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():

This is kinda strange.  Obviously, libusb can talk to it when it comes
to getting at the serial number but not much beyond that.

I have no idea about the libusb implementation for OSX.  Years ago, I
had similar issues with FreeBSD that turned out that libusb didn't
have the flag set in the request that allowed to get short replies
(less than the requested size) to be passed up.  That has been fixed
in the official libusb quite some time ago though.

james-snyders-computer:~/Sources/avrdude/avr-obj jsnyder$ ./avrdude -p
atmega8515 -P usb -c dragon_isp -vvv

avrdude: Version 5.3cvs, compiled on Apr 23 2007 at 10:56:07
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/jsnyder/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file,
skipping

         Using Port            : usb
         Using Programmer      : dragon_isp
avrdude: stk500v2_dragon_isp_open()
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found AVRDRAGON, serno: 00A20000250D
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync()
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): Sending sign-on command:
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 1 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 0 (command_sequence == 0)

Sign-on succeeded

JTAG ICE mkII sign-on message:
Communications protocol version: 1
M_MCU:
  boot-loader FW version:        255
  firmware version:              1.01
  hardware version:              1
S_MCU:
  boot-loader FW version:        255
  firmware version:              1.03
  hardware version:              2
Serial number:                   00:a2:00:00:25:0d
Device ID:                       AVRDRAGON
avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm()
avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm(): Sending set parameter command (parm 0x03, 1
bytes):
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 3 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 1 (command_sequence == 1)

OK

avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): Sending get sync command:
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 1 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 2 (command_sequence == 2)

OK

         AVR Part              : ATMEGA8515
         Chip Erase delay      : 9000 us
         PAGEL                 : P00
         BS2                   : P00
         RESET disposition     : dedicated
         RETRY pulse           : SCK
         serial program mode   : yes
         parallel program mode : yes
         Timeout               : 200
         StabDelay             : 100
         CmdexeDelay           : 25
         SyncLoops             : 32
         ByteDelay             : 0
         PollIndex             : 3
         PollValue             : 0x53
         Memory Detail         :

                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           eeprom         4    10   128    0 no        512    0      0  9000
9000 0xff 0xff
                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           flash         33     6    64    0 yes      8192   64    128  4500
4500 0xff 0xff
                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500
4500 0x00 0x00
                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500
4500 0x00 0x00
                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500
4500 0x00 0x00
                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          4    0      0     0
 0 0x00 0x00
                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0
 0 0x00 0x00

         Programmer Type : DRAGON_ISP
         Description     : Atmel AVR Dragon in ISP mode
avrdude: jtagmkII_getparm()
avrdude: jtagmkII_getparm(): Sending get parameter command (parm 0x06):
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 2 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 3 (command_sequence == 3)

parameter values:
0x0e  0x13

         Vtarget         : 4.9 V

avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 5 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 4 (command_sequence == 4)
         SCK period      : 1.00 us

avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 15 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 5 (command_sequence == 5)
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading |                                                    | 0% 0.00s
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 11 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 6 (command_sequence == 6)

avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 11 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 7 (command_sequence == 7)
Reading | #################                                  | 33% 0.10s
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 11 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 8 (command_sequence == 8)
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.15s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x939306
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA8515 is 1E 93 06
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 6 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 9 (command_sequence == 9)
avrdude: jtagmkII_close()
avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): Sending sign-off command:
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 1 bytes
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): CRC OK
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Got message seqno 10 (command_sequence == 10)

OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.