Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrdude Feature Request andCa

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrdude Feature Request andCall for Volunteers
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:12:47 -0500

On Friday 09 March 2007 16:47, Eric Weddington wrote:

[I combined a couple of your messages to make this reply.]

> > I generally agree with your idea to allow setting the fuse values from
> > within the source code.  I've tossed that idea around on the avrdude
> > list a couple of years ago already.

We also discussed trying to port the PonyProg script files.  Something
that is still on my far to long To Do list.

I'd rather not see non-source code data in the source code,
that just adds to the validation burden.

> This causes further
>hassle especially if the place that does the automated programming is
>separate from the engineering. Multiple hex files need to be sent with the
>programmer software, and this can be error prone. It is less error prone if
>a *single* ELF file can be sent with the programmer software

I deal with the Big Name Distributors etc for getting volumes of AVRs
programmed,  they *want* .hex files, and they are *not* going to be
installing avrdude on their computers.  Take a look at
some of the high end equipment, for example:
http://www.bpmicro.com/ to see why.

Yes, I find the way the do the fuses annoying myself, a check list,
but that is what they want.

> I'm certainly open to ideas to further enhance this feature request, or if
> I've missed something. However, I don't want to expand the scope of the
> feature too much to make it difficult to impelement.

PonyProg's source code and documentation is available to base
some avrdude scripts on.

--
 http://www.softwaresafety.net/ http://www.designer-iii.com/
                 http://www.unusualresearch.com/