Re: [avrdude-dev] How about changing the "stk500" programmer to V2 by de

From: Matthias Ringwald
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] How about changing the "stk500" programmer to V2 by default?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:04:38 +0200

hi

changing the default meaning of stk500 to refer to v2 is fine to me,
as long as there is maintainable way to specify v1 somehow.
so this changes looks problematic to me.

i.e. we're using the stk500 v1 protocol in our bootloader on the BTnodes
and provide a make burn target which is specified to use stk500 v1.

so, I could update the makefile to refer to skt500v1 if it would exist
right now, but it doesn't. if I update, I force people to upgrade their tools.
If I don't change the stk500 and someone updates his system
the firmware upload won't work anymore.

then the only way to fix this would be to probe avrdude prior using it.
:(

fazit: it looks like more harm than it is usefull.

cheers,
matthias