Re: [avrdude-dev] jtag2 and usb timeout

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] jtag2 and usb timeout
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:49:14 -0700

I instrumented avrdude and found that usb_bulk_read() is returning -110, which (if I am reading errno.h) correctly is a time out. usb_strerror() is not returning a sensible value, however, it claims "No error".

Stretching the time-out value passed by avrdude causes the failure to take longer, so it would seem that the time out is legitimate.

I'm thinking that there is a basic connectivity issue in the USB configuration someplace. It's not permissions, it fails the same way running as root. It's not hardware/cabling, Windows works fine.

-dave

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Dave N6NZ wrote:

It really appears that libusb is returning an error status, without
setting an error code.  Possibilities:

1) spurious error code for correct operation
2) missing error code for incorrect operation
3) Dave is too tired to be reading code and is totally lost.

I've got similar problems on one laptop running Linux at work.  Almost
the same system as on our lab machines (some version of SuSE), but
while everything works fine on the lab systems (once the admin figured
out how to assign the /proc/usb/... entries for the JTAG ICEs to us
mortal users), it fails on the laptop, experiencing similar symptoms
as your setup.  So far, the only workaround on the laptop has been to
use the RS-232 connection instead.  Never had any such problem on the
lab systems running Linux, nor on my FreeBSD machines at home.  (I've
occasionally got trouble on FreeBSD with AVaRICE connecting over USB
where it apparently drops some bytes from the connection internally,
but AVaRICE's USB handling is a lot different from AVRDUDE's, mainly
due to hysterical raisins, and due to AVaRICE being in need to listen
to both, USB and the GDB channel.)

I suggest you try contacting the libusb developers to see what kind of
debugging could be applied.  If you've got any solution, please post
it here.