Re: [avrdude-dev] ATMega644

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] ATMega644
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 06:53:32 +0200

As Tom Saxton wrote:

> Cathy and I have been working with the ATMega644, and found that
> avrdude 5.1 wasn't working with it.

Which programming hardware?

> After reading up, Cathy suggested
> uncommenting this line from the m644 section:

>     stk500_devcode   = 0x82; # no STK500v1 support

> After doing that, it now sets the fuse bits and downloads the
> program into flash -- all is good.

Seems to me you're trying to use an old (version 1.x) STK500 firmware,
are you?  This firmware does not officially support any of the recent
AVRs.  The concept of "device codes" used in that firmware has proven
to be a big mess, and the 0x82 device code you've been uncommenting
was actually meant to be an ATmega16.  As I don't have an idea what
actions the device code actually might cause in the STK500v1 firmware,
I'm a bit reluctant to uncomment that line.

Is there any strong reason why you cannot upgrade to a recent
firmware version?