Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Permissions On Linux

From: Ned Konz
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude Permissions On Linux
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 21:46:02 -0700

Chris Spencer wrote:
I have an AVR ISP mkII programmer, and I can only access it with avrdude when I'm root. As a normal user I get the error 'avrdude: usb_open(): cannot read serial number "error sending control message: Operation not permitted"' What permissions in Linux do you have to change to access the programmer as a normal user?

First do a lsusb as root. Then you should be able to change the permissions on the corresponding /proc/bus/usb/<bus#>/<dev#> file to 777 or whatever.

But this will only last until you unplug the mkII, if you have devfs/hotplug/usbdevfs, because these make device nodes dynamically.

If you want a more lasting solution...

Assuming you have hotplug and usbdevfs (which is the currently blessed scheme for doing such things), you should be able to set up an automatic chmod/chgrp script in /etc/hotplug/usb . Look at /etc/hotplug/usb/usbserial and /etc/hotplug/usb/usbserial.usermap, for instance.

You'll need the vendor id/product id pair (run lsusb as root to get this).

Or you could just add it to /etc/hotplug/usb/usbserial.usermap and edit /etc/hotplug/usb/usbserial to set the permissions/group ownership as needed.

Read up on hotplug for more info.

--
Ned Konz
address@hidden