Re: [avrdude-dev] Adding support for the Digilent JTAG3 cable

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Adding support for the Digilent JTAG3 cable
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:03:43 +0100

As Henri Muurimaa wrote:

> Could someone take a quick peek at the thread in the avrfreaks.net:
> http://avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=201869&sid=1e517e00d8f0be2061871b0afea6610e#201869

> and tell if there are any problems with my (I'm h121) idea for the
> Avrdude.conf section described in my last post?

As far as I could tell without physically looking at that programming
dongle, I think that's OK.

I'd personally prefer a shorter programmer ID than "digilentjtag3" (as
it might happen that people have to type in that name on the
command-line) but don't have a good proposal for another name myself.

> I'd like to have an opinion
> if it's safe for me to try that config on my hardware.

I don't think bad things will happen.

As a quick test, you could shorten MOSI and MISO on the target ISP
connector of the programming dongle.  Running avrdude -vvvv should
then make you see the echo of the programming enable instruction.  If
that doesn't work, use an oscilloscope to debug it.  If that works, I
think you can go ahead, and connect it to the target board.