Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: About avrdude-gui

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: About avrdude-gui
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:04:37 +0100

Bernhard Walle wrote:

* Joerg Wunsch [29.10.2005 14:06]:
As Bernhard Walle wrote:

I would prefer Gtk (or the C++ binding). It should be available on
_every_ Linux or *BSD system as shared library so size does not
matter because it's a shared library.
What about MacOS?  I can't find any statement it would run there.
(fltk does.)

Don't know. At least with X11 (MacOS comes with a X server by default).
It should work. I'm new at MacOsX but I ran "fink commander" on a minimac last week and got a working glade-2 package.

I'm myself considering using PHP-GTK2 for a project here - I like PHP for high level programming since it's easier now to find good PHP programmer for maintenance in the long run than C programmers and Command Line Interface for PHP works well for a long time now.

Also manipulating XML objects in PHP in a read-only manner (like processing configuration files) is really easy thru the "SimpleXML package". So the next question is, "will avrdude-gui-next-generation be written in C?"

As for a command-line only or a gui-version, I'd prefer to have 2 executables, one GUI and one CLI, at least to be able to compile/link avrdude on a computer without having to install tens of different packages (pango/wxdigets/gtk2, etc).

Sometimes you just want one tool and you end spending the day looking for the latest version of some library you never heard about before. Or you have installed a particular version of a particular package and the stuff you now compile requires slightly different versions...

So my wish is that if './configure' sees that GUI compiling is not possible, it should produce the non-gui version anyway.

Now, instead of a library, what about adding feature in the interactive mode of avrude and have the GUI side open a pipe to an avrdude CLI executable to make it do the job? All the work done in avrdude itself would be usefull for people that likes to hack targets in avrdude interactive mode (see Vincent Trouilliez request a few weeks ago for more ways of entering data in the the eeprom (chars, floats, etc)) without running a GUI.

Bernard