Re: [avrdude-dev] About avrdude-gui

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] About avrdude-gui
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:24:14 +1000

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
I recently met Jörg Lachmann, the author of avrdude-gui who also lives
here in Dresden.

We've been discussing the idea one of the users once had (I forgot
whether it's been on avr-gcc-list, or maybe at avrfreaks.net) to
integrate avrdude-gui with avrdude, rather than have it as a
standalone utility.

We agreed that this idea has some merit.  Having to call an external
utility to do the actual job is a nuisance anyway, let alone different
problems between platforms.  Also, by integrating it into the same
source tree, the GUI could immediately pick up newly added devices
from the config file, rather than playing catch-up with the base
avrdude.

A gui-only tool leadeth to the dark side...

Jörg mentioned that he'd take this occasion to rewrite the GUI using
yet another toolkit from scratch, this times using fltk (see
http://www.fltk.org/ ) as it appears fltk is comparably small.

I think if we agree the integration is a Good Thing and should happen,
we should also clean up the directory structure a bit.  Right now,
most of the stuff is just in the top-level directory, except for the
texinfo documentation which is in doc/, unlike the man page which is
not in doc/. ;-)

Any opinions?

The right way to do it is to write avrdude as a bunch of library
functions that the gui can use. That way, the command-line-only
avrdude can use the same library functions, so any bugs in the
avrdude library solved for one tool will automatically apply to
the other. The same tool could have both command and gui interfaces,
but that has size and maintenance disadvantages for users that don't
need the gui. The quick and dirty way is for the gui to send shell
commands to the current avrdude.

A command-line interface is necessary so that you can run avrdude
from scripts and makefiles. It would be worthwhile to have a gui
output window that shows the equivalent shell commands, so that
users can paste them into scripts for the command-line avrdude.