Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #4020] Avrdude Safemode upgrade

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #4020] Avrdude Safemode upgrade
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:13:17 +0200

As Brian Dean wrote:

> Even better, would be to leave safemode enabled only for fuse bytes
> that were not specified on the command line.

Sounds good to me.

Also, regarding the check whether safemode actually works or not,
please see also Marthin Thomas' implementation.  He told me that he's
checking the ID byte, and only trusts the programmer at all if the ID
turns out to start with 0x1E.  (Or something to that avail -- if
you've got troubles contacting him, tell me so.)

IMHO even better would be to require the ID matching the selected chip
though (unless -F is supplied).  This requires adding the chip IDs to
avrdude.conf, but we need to do this really soon anyway.  The current
(old AVR910-style) way of matching the device against a device code in
the butterfly/AVR109 code is no longer viable at all, and the
recommended (by AVR109) way is to match the device ID instead.