Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Implementation of of FTD2XX-based AVR programmer i

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Implementation of of FTD2XX-based AVR programmer in avrdude
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:43:55 +0200

As Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> > Keep in mind that this will also drastically increase the interrupt
> > load of the machine, so you might want to restrict decreasing the
> > latency timer to those situations where it's actually needed.
> > (1 ms latency timer => 1000 interrupts/s)

> If the host is a modern GHz PC, do you expect any real impact by 1000
> Interrupts per second?  For an embedded host, I agree.

Don't make assumptions.  AVRDUDE is not unlikely to be used in lab
environments with older PCs, like a 400 MHz CPU.  Just that your
current desktop machine wouldn't have much problems with it is no
justification to waste resources if you can do better.

Sure, it could be argued that USB with its missing option for a device
to issue a real interrupt is just crap by design, but that's another
matter.