[avrdude-dev] Re: [AVR-Chat] AVRDUDE 5.0 BETA Release

From: Brian Dean
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [AVR-Chat] AVRDUDE 5.0 BETA Release
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:58:48 -0400

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 04:44:05PM -0500, Mike Perks wrote:

> Windows is not my platform of choice but it certainly is the most
> popular "choice". I don't quite understand why it takes so long to
> produce a Windows version.

Like any open source project, we're doing this in our spare time, as a
service to the community.  Since it's a volunteer effort, the work
gets done as folks have time to do it.  But geez, the release was only
cut on Saturday and on short notice at that - please be patient.  The
binaries will be available soon.

> I am not suggesting that you provide a Windows only version, only
> that it might be prudent to consider which platforms you support as
> a priority over others. Apologies if you already made that decision
> and have decided that Windows IS further down on the list.

Windows is equal with all the other platforms.

> The -b option is not documented either in the command line help or
> in the documentation. I think it would help to add it there.

The doc was recently fixed, a few days ago.

> Fair comment. I could certainly work on enhancements but time and
> priority is always a problem :)

Yes, this is the main issue for all of us.

> Yes I saw the appends about that problem. Kudos to whoever provided the
> STK200 support.

Erik Walthinsen contributed the STK500 V2 support.  Joerg Wunsch
contributed the JTAGICE MkII support.  Lots and lots of other folks
have made significant contributions since AVRDUDE became a more public
project.  Browse the CVS repository for the complete history.  The
"ChangeLog" file pretty much contains a blow-by-blow record of the
changes and contributions.

> My mistake. Yes that is clear. However I was also wondering if there
> were any other fixes, enhancements and where these were documented.

Since the last release, we have AT90CAN128 support, Xilinx JTAG Cable
programmer support, a new "Safe Mode" fuse bit anti-foot-shooting
method, documentation updates, and of course JTAGICE MkII and STK500
V2 Firmware support.  In between releases, these are documented in the
ChangeLog file.  Post release, these are typically summarized in the
NEWS file.

> Yes thank you.

No problem.  Thanks for taking the time to build and test the latest
source and provide feedback.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers