Re: [avrdude-dev] Autodetection of output-file-format ;-(

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Autodetection of output-file-format ;-(
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:36:37 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> I think it's a misnomer to call it output autodetection. It the
> output format isn't specified then there should be a default, and
> IMO it should probably be intel hex.

> What do others think?

I don't mind if the existing practice (re-use the autodetected format
of any file that already exists) would be continued.

However, I think the feature might be extended somewhat in case the
output file does not exist.  An attempt could be made to derive the
file type of the file about to be created based on its filename
suffix.  Failing this, either default it to binary (*), or return an
error.

(*) While this might sound odd at first, it's basically the way the
input file type detection is handled.  First, all specific file type
handlers are asked whether they could handle the file, and if all else
fails, it's considered to be binary.

Known filename suffixes?

.hex -> Intel Hex
.ihex -> Intel Hex
.srec -> Motorola Srecord

What would be a historical 3-letter suffix Windows users are so fond
of for Srecord?

How to handle specific suffixes like .eep for the EEPROM load file?
Always handle them as Intel Hex, or handle them as unknown (i.e.
autodetect if file exists, default to binary otherwise)?