Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complain

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:06:15 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> So far, my only objection with using DocBook directly is just trying
> find a decent editor (in Windows) that can handle the format. The
> format is pretty verbose if you have to write it raw.

Agreed.  My situation isn't that much better on Unix either.

> My only limitation that I currently have is figuring out how to
> convert DocBook to PDF. Cygwin doesn't seem to have a quick and easy
> solution out of the box. The "xmlto" that comes with Cygwin can
> convert DocBook to FO (among other things), but it stops there. No
> direct to PDF.

Can you create PS?  From there, it's easy to go to PDF (using
Ghostscript).

> My only other reasoning for AsciiDoc is that what it provides is
> "good enough", at least for the WinAVR user manual.

Yeah, for things like the WinAVR user manual, I fully agree.

> >As Eric Raymond's tool could save all the existing man page work
> >for avrdude into docbook format, it seems to be an option to me
> >here, too.

> Which tool is this?

doclifter:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/doclifter/

I've found it referenced in that document from him:

http://commmunity.linux.com/howtos/DocBook-Demystification-HOWTO/index.shtml