Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complain

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:19:31 +0100

As Brian Dean wrote:

> Would folks here object too loudly if we trimmed down the
> documentation of AVRDUDE to just the Unix man page?

> Does Windows support Unix man pages?

Not even WinAVR does.  It ships a `man' command, but that would need a
lot of hacking before it could be made work.

> The reason I ask is that many folks have trouble building avrdude
> from source.

Why don't you go the way avr-libc did?  Use configure --enable-docs in
order to build them, and default to being disabled.

> I would prefer that we move essential documentation to just the man
> page.  AVRDUDE is not a very complex program, after all.

What bothers me more here is that both, the man and the info page
basically express the same content, but as a developer, you gotta
write everything twice.  Some mdoc -> texi converter would be really
useful, in order to obtain the info pages automagically.