Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol

From: Matthias Weißer
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:11:25 +0100

Joerg Wunsch schrieb:

If a single programmer module can handle both protocols, why have two
of them?  At least, it's my understanding that Atmel's avrprog.exe can
also handle both protocol versions (only the older version of
avrprog.exe cannot handle the new firmware, so you have no easy chance
to `downgrade' that way by installing an old AVR Studio version).

I think it's better to have two different programmers. So it's easier to maintain the code. The protocoll is totaly different so that we would have a big if-condition in every function to decide which one should be used. It's IMHO a better way to split up in two different programmers.

I agree that this could lead to confusion when someone would like to use the stk500 programmer for protocoll 2.0 but maybe there can be check within the old stk500 code to see if it is a v2.0 programmer and it could print out a message.

--
Matthias Weißer
address@hidden