RE: [avrdude-dev] Speeding up flash/eeprom download

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Speeding up flash/eeprom download
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 10:20:51 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Bernard Fouché wrote:

> For avarice, since my target is clocking at 3.6866Mhz, I have to
> use -B500Khz. Would that mean that transfers are close to 500Kbs ? (that
> would be 4 times the avrisp speed and so would be good!)

You need to subtract off the avarice-to-jtagice comm overhead.

> With avrdude the flashing system writes the flash & eeprom, read them back
> to be sure everything is okay, then the target performs some tests and at
> last the eeprom is read again to get the results from the tests. Is a
> similar scheme possible with avarice? I just saw the '--program' option and
> nothing to get back full images from the target. I suppose that it is
> possible since JTAG allows a lot more than ISP however that would mean
> modifiying avarice ?

Avarice has a '--verify' option to compare the image in flash to the
image file. You currently can not do a ROM dump with avarice (there was
a recent patch to add this feature but under review it turned up buggy
and hasn't moved forward yet).

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9