Re: [avrdude-dev] Other parallel ports on Windows

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Other parallel ports on Windows
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:56:01 -0400

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 06:32:13AM -0600, E. Weddington wrote:

> In theory this could be done. I'd like to hear from one of the other
> developers or admins about whether or not this is desirable.

I'm not really familiar with how Windows manages this stuff.  In an
ideal world, it would be like Unix where device access is just through
the file system and changing devices is as simple as typing in a
different file name :-)

I guess the Windows "way" would be to query the OS to map the name to
device specific information, i.e., LPT1 at 0x378 etc.  I'm assuming
there's an API for that in Windows.

One simpler possibility that might not be too hard to do considering
the existing code might be to simply accept a hex number as a parallel
port device name.  If the name given begins with "0x", then use
whatever is given as the base address for the parallel port.

On second thought, though, that might not be such a good idea since
that would allow someone to potentially hose up their machine pretty
good in the case that they pass a bad value in, like maybe an i/o
register associated with something else entirely, like a disk
controller or something.  So, um, scratch that.

-Brian