Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE and AT17LV

From: Rudolf Matousek
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE and AT17LV
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 07:48:02 +0200

Brian Dean wrote:

Not to say it could not be done, just that AVRDUDE is probably not the
best program to use as a basis.  I think what you want is something
that can program I2C memory.  Sounds like you could make a little AVR
board that has a UART to interface to your PC, and an I2C interface to
talk to your I2C memory part.  With a little programming on either
side, you can send the data to be written out your serial port to the
AVR chip which can then buffer it and send it on off to the device you
wish to program using its the I2C interface.  I have code examples on
my web site for the ATmega128 that can read and write to serial
EEPROMs using the standard 24Cxxx I2C protocol.  Not sure if the
device you are programming uses that method or not, but the code there
might be helpful as a starting point.

     http://www.bdmicro.com/code/

There might be a problem. The FPSLIC AT94K does not have any internal nonvolatile memory that could be used to store the serial downloader program. The only nonvolatile memory is a on-board serial eeprom that is responsible to boot the device on power up. It stores not only the AVR program, but also a configuration bitstream that sets the behavior of the FPSLIC on-chip FPGA.

Alternatively, there's bound to be some code and schematics out there
to interface the PC parallel port to an I2C bus.  It shouldn't take
much - maybe a buffer chip and a few resistors to use for pull-ups on
the I2C bus.  After that it's just a small matter of the software :-)
Actually, I've got such cable and I was looking for a tool that would do it for me. I'll probably write it one day, but up to that time, I'll use the windows utility provided by Atmel. :-(

Thanks for help,

Ruda M.