Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: FIXED: was avrdude prb [RE: [avr-gcc-list] printf_

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: FIXED: was avrdude prb [RE: [avr-gcc-list] printf_P + PSTR("\n\r") does not seem towork, however ("\r\n") is okay]
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:07:17 -0400

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:18:57PM -0700, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

>  The mode string can also include the letter  ``b''  either  as  a  last
>  character  or  as a character between the characters in any of the two-
>  character strings described above.  This is strictly for  compatibility
>  with  ANSI  X3.159-1989  (``ANSI  C'')  and has no effect; the ``b'' is
>  ignored on all POSIX conforming systems, including Linux.  (Other  sys-
>  tems  may treat text files and binary files differently, and adding the
>  ``b'' may be a good idea if you do I/O to a binary file and expect that
>  your program may be ported to non-Unix environments.)
>
> If it's a binary file, just use "wb" or "rb" on all systems.

While 'b' is not documented to work on FreeBSD nor Mac, I checked the
FreeBSD sources for fopen() and indeed it catches and properly ignores
the 'b'.  This part of MacOS X is purported to be derived from FreeBSD
so I suspect the code is identical for it.  Indeed, I tested the use
of "rb" here on my Mac and see no problems, so I'd say this is a safe
change to pull out from under the #ifdef.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
http://www.bdmicro.com/