Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: code review comments

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: code review comments
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:27:39 -0600

On 8 Jul 2004 at 16:26, Martin Thomas wrote:

> *** Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:04:19 +1200
> From: "Alex Shepherd"
>
> >> Some additional changes for avrdude (based on
> >> a cvs-checkout from Jun, 29 2004)
> >Maybe you should be added to the developer list so you can add commit
> >changes?
>
> My cvs knowledge is limited and I do not use Linux/Unix-platform
> "on the desktop" so I can't test if my changes break the build-process
> on this platforms.

I would think that it's ok if your cvs knowledge is limited. My knowledge was
nonexistent a year or so ago. Plus there are free CVS tools for Windows these
days.

And think that it's ok if you can't test on Linux / Unix; that's why there are
many developers on the project from different backgrounds.

> ---------------------
> *** Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:04:19 -0600
> From: "E. Weddington"
>
> > One can use the Cygwin environment (shell and programs) to build the
> > application. The application can be built in two separate ways:
> >
> > 1. One can "build for Cygwin", which implies that the resulting application
> > is
> > linked to Cygwin DLLs. 2. One can "build for MinGW", which implies that the
> > resulting application is NOT linked to Cygwin DLLs and is completely a
> > native
> > Win32 application. *Even though* we're using the Cygwin environment to build
> > it.
> >
> > The -mno-cygwin flag is the standard way of switching over to the MinGW GCC
> > compiler (that can come as a Cygwin package) and build and link the
> > application as a Win32 application. This flag is required if we're going to
> > be
> > using the Win32 calls.
>
> I can't think of a situation where someone would build an avrdude.exe for
> WIN32
> target-platforms which is depending on the cygwin-runtime-dll. Now that the
> "dll-free" build is possible maybe the cygwin-target could be dropped and
> MinGW-target (=no dll) might be the only Win32-target.

I would concur with this. I can't think of any great advantage to having a
Cygwin DLL based avrdude, and can only think of disadvantages.

> Even inside the cygwin-shell avrdude.exe should work without problems (A lot
> of
> testing during development has been done from "inside" cygwin). The only
> drawback might be, that makefiles created for Unix/BSD-Systems which call
> avrdude have to be modified (path/dev) since avrdudeW32 is not connected to
> the
> "unix-comaptibility-layer" provided by the cygwin-dll any longer.

IMO, this shouldn't be a problem. If one is using the Cygwin shell, then you
have access to the cygpath utility which can transform pathnames to the
required format needed. In my experience with WinAVR, there have been no
complaints from anyone about the use of avrdude in the sample makefile that's
shipped.

> Ah - and readline is not supported in terminal-mode on W32 so far, but
> I've seen a compatible readline-lib somewhere in MinGW/MinSYS. Maybe
> a "multi-platform" readline could be included as source-code in the avrdude
> code-tree

I think this would make a great feature enhancement for the next release after
this. :-)

Eric