Re: [avrdude-dev] code review comments

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] code review comments
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:14:00 -0400

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 05:21:23PM -0600, E. Weddington wrote:

> Considering all the systems that avrdude is known to work on, the
> compiler that is being used on all those systems is GCC, and no
> other. Indenting preprocessor directives is known to work on
> GCC. So, technically it's fine. But if somebody (Brian) wants to
> declare a stylistic preference for the application, that's a
> different matter.

My $0.02:

I don't normally indent because I've been bitten by pre-processors
(ages ago) that didn't handle it.  Also, I normally do my editing
with emacs have it set to autoindent which does not indent
preprocessor directives.

But I personally don't have a strong opinion on this.

However, Ted did bring up a few good points about the #ifdef's being
much more noticeable if they are not indented.  I agree that it's
probably good to make them stand out more and be ugly since
conditionally compilation should be minimized where possible.  I
wouldn't go too far out of the way to change them, but if someone has
some free time and wanted to do some cleanup, they can feel free to
unindent them, as long as you don't have any objection, of course.

Regarding the directives themselves, making the setvbuf() calls
unconditional does not have any adverse affect on Mac OS X at least.
I suspect it should be fine on the other Unix platforms as well, but
I've only tested on Mac OS X.

-Brian