Re: [avrdude-dev] installing avrdude on linux Redhat 9

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] installing avrdude on linux Redhat 9
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Mike Gordon wrote:

> Gentlemen,
> I am new to linux and to avrdude. Have attempted to install avrdude on my
> linux box using several sets of instructions found on the internet.
> Installing the rpm titled [
> fcp://@fc.fms.k12.nm.us,%237700277/Mailbox/avrdude-4.0.0-1.i386.rpm
> ]avrdude-4.0.0-1.i386.rpm is the only option that has worked, likely due
> to my inexperience with linux. To make a long story short the config files
> in this distribution do not have support for attiny26 or atmega64 both of
> which I need. Can you please give me pointers on how to proceed.

Grab the 4.3.0 tar ball here:

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avrdude/

Convert the bz2 file to a gz file:

  $ bunzip2 -c avrdude-4.3.0.tar.bz2 | gzip -9 - > avrdude-4.3.0.tar.gz

Build the rpm:

  $ rpmbuild -tb avrdude-4.3.0.tar.gz

You might need to tweak permissions if you are using the default rpm
build directories (/usr/src/redhat/rpm/ or maybe /usr/src/rpm/ ???).

If you don't really need to use an rpm, you can just build and install
from source:

  $ tar xjf avrdude-4.3.0.tar.bz2
  $ cd avrdude-4.3.0
  $ ./configure
  $ make
  $ make install

That will install it in /usr/local/bin and the config file in
/usr/local/etc. If you want to install somewhere else, add
"--prefix=<install path>" to the configure command.

This might also help:

  http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html

---
Ted Roth