Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude: stk500_getsync error message

From: Martin Thomas
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude: stk500_getsync error message
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:41:20 +0200

Hi Peter et al,

I could not reproduce your problem here.
Setup: STK500 (same HW and FW-Versions), ATmega16,
avrdude-"W32 0.5" (same as in WinAVR 4/04), direct
RS232 connection to PC and connection with an
USB to RS232 converter, W2k SP4

Given command-line by PW (mail 3 Jun):
> avrdude -p m16 -c stk500 -U hfuse:w:0xC0:m -U lfuse:w:0c7F:m
I expect the value for the lfuse is a typo and should be 0x7F.
I've programmed this values in a loop around 30 times on a
mega16 without any program/read/verify problem and without
reseting the STK inbetween.

Output from PW's test (mail 4 Jun):
 > Programmer Type : STK500
 > Description     : Atmel STK500
 > Hardware Version: 2
 > Firmware Version: 1.15
 > Vtarget         : 4.1 V
 > Varef           : 5.1 V
 > Oscillator      : 3.686 MHz

Setting Vtarget<Varef is no good idea. This may "confuse" the
STK500-firmware or the target and may cause your problems.
(I will not try to "misconfigure" my STK500 to this voltages.)

HTH,
Martin