RE: [avrdude-dev] avrdude or PC going berzerk after a longer while?

From: Rune Christensen
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] avrdude or PC going berzerk after a longer while?
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 08:33:09 +0200

Hello

What OS are you using?

Cheers
Rune

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden
Behalf Of address@hidden
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 12:49 AM
To: address@hidden

Hello folks,

I noticed a very strange phenomenon a couple of days ago: I am manically
busy on
an embedded project of mine, and have been leaving the workstation on during
the night, and sometimes during the whole day when I just wasn't
concentrated
enough to be creative.

So, after a longer while of inactivity, I do some coding, debug a bit and
see
that the emulator OKs my code, and proceed to avrdude it into the mcu. To my
surprise, the device doesn't work. So I now take a more careful look at
what avrdude  is saying, and it gives me an error message about verification
failure at the first byte. For what is worth: I program the EEPROM and the
Flash RAM.

I use the non-native avrdude port for win32 (the one that needs the cygwin
dll).

So, what I did was, I rebooted the PC, and after that avrdude programmed OK.

I have disabled power management on that PC, except for display poweroff
after 10 minutes.

I do not run from the possibility that my PC is somehow defective, but I
doubt
that. But I have to admit, I have no clue what's going on and wonder if
anyone got anything such as this, happening to him.

thanks and see you later.

mario