Re: [avrdude-dev] Programming Failures

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Programming Failures
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:30:12 +0100

On Thursday 04 March 2004 07:07, address@hidden wrote:

> I have LEDs connected to the MOSI, MISO, SCK, Reset, +5V, PA0-PA4.
>
> I can insert any part and try reprogram it. The failures always
> fail and the pass always pass.
>
> Observing the LEDs on the failures I never see any change of state
> on the MISO line. Pin 2, PB6. I do see it on the devices that pass.
>
> The command and program output is shown below.
>

> C:\Projects\BLACKH~1\AAV-88>avrdude -c picoweb -p m8515 -F -e -v

Hi Jeff,

an additional "-v" shows all data transfered. This is more accurate
than a LED on MISO which might miss short pulses.

> Does anyone have a clue why 20% of my devices are failing?

It looks like the device fails to enter programming mode. Usually,
this is due to badly configured fuse bits.

If SPIEN is not programmed there is no other way but to use a parallel
programming device. If it is just the oscillator that is configured
badly, applying an external clock may help.

However, 20% bad devices seems quite a lot ;-(

Cheers
  Jan-Hinnerk