Re: [avrdude-dev] New option-parsing

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] New option-parsing
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:20:34 +0100

On Monday 09 February 2004 22:09, Brian Dean wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:55:09PM +0100, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
wrote:
> > 2) Pass the options to the programmer one at a time. To do this
> > we have to get an option-description first. So, we need another
> > function in pgm-struct. We should also add a function for
> > checking consistency after all options are through. So we get
> > alot new stuff in the pgm-struct.
>
> This seems reasonable.  Are you thinking of something like this in
> main():

> Or something similar?  One affect this has is that option letters
> for one programmer map (or should map) to the equivalent function
> for other programmers.  For example, it would be bad to make '-k'
> do one thing on one programmer but do something else for another
> programmer.

This would be the easiest way ;-)

I originally thought of implementing a seperate parsing loop for
programmer-specific options.

This way, you can around many small problems in development. It's
harder to use, though. A call would than look like this:

# avrdude -x "-E noreset" [...]

Of course, with a backward compatibility hack for "-E".

What's best depends on how many programmer-specific options we expect.
The interface to the programmer does not depend a lot on how we
implement it.

------------

> > BTW: Are there plans to remove the deprecated options any time
> > soon? Would make some nice cleanup in main...
>
> We should probably do that before the next release.  IIRC, we've
> done one complete release cycle with the depricated options still
> present, so it should be reasonable to remove them now.

We had both options for two releases (4.2.0 and 4.3.0)

> It's on my
> list but if you want to do it sooner that I get to it, please feel
> free.

Okay, that's good. Otherwise I would have done some cleanup of the
variables used for the old options ;-(

Consider it done...

Cheers
  Jan-Hinnerk