Re: FW: [avrdude-dev] Windows port (was: Butterfly proposal: Exit upgrad

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: FW: [avrdude-dev] Windows port (was: Butterfly proposal: Exit upgradefunction)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:17:57 +0100

On Friday 06 February 2004 22:14, E. Weddington wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2004 at 2:22, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:

> > So the use of Windows-API is equivalent to switching serial ports
> > to low latency under Linux. This is a great benefit.
> >
> > In addition this makes it possible to gain even more speed by
> > reducing the FIFO-threshold.
> >
> > avrdude-Martin, receive_fifo_threshold=1: 14.53s
>
> Huh. Very interesting.
> This also applies to an app that I'm working on for my job. Thanks!

You're welcome. Would be interesting to see how other windows-version
handle this...

> > Although it looks like the udelay()-stuff needs some further
> > investigation, I think we should merge the changes regarding
> > serial interface as soon as possible.
> >
> > BTW: The FIFO-thresholds can be adjusted in Device-Manager (hope
> > this is the right term). Although it doesn't say so, WinXP needs
> > a restart before changes take effect ;-(
>
> Why would it need to restart? I don't think Win2000 needs a
> restart, but I'll do some checking.

I can't see a reason. Perhaps it was, because I still had the
command.exe running while doing the change. Or windows just forgot to
apply the changes ;-(

Window's need to do restarts was always a bit mysterious, but there
are less occasions that need a restart on WinXP than with earlier
versions.

However, it is quite nice that you can change FIFO-settings in
Windows. You can't do that with Linux, unless you patch and recomile
the kernel. (Did I just say that Windows does something better than
Linux?)

Cheers
  Jan-Hinnerk