[avrdude-dev] Some questions on semantics ;-(

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Some questions on semantics ;-(
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:04:25 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to do some cleanup in avr910.c

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any comments on the functions in
the PROGRAMMER-struct.

I'm specifically interested in the following

1) pgm->open()
Is it okay to do the query of programmer version and capabilities or
should this functions just open the port?

2) pgm->program_enable()
Just can't make sense of this:
- It is never called from outside any programmer
- It is not used at all in avr910.c
- There is no complementary function

3) pgm->initialize()
Should this function initialize the programmer or the device?
If the former, why not do it in pgm->open()?
If the latter, why not do it in pgm->program_enable()?

I'm also looking for the semantics of verbosity-levels?

/Jan-Hinnerk