Re: [avrdude-dev] device signature string

From: Michael Mayer
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] device signature string
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:25:23 +0100

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 23:55:23 +0100, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:
> Have  you thought about using the 't' command for autodetection. This
> should work as long as this is really a bootloader.
Regarding only the butterfly no autodetection in necessary, it uses only the
Mega169 with no alternatives. This was my starting point - in this special
case the -p option is redundant and I proposed the defininition of a default
device to be able to change the -p from mandatory to optinal in a consistent
way. But using the device signature is a more general and flexible approach
to this problem.

> IMHO the reason for this is that a memory type allows you to specify
> the command for reading. If you implement signature as memory you
> must give a length, of course ;-(
ok. So there is no easy way to get rid of the depency from struct avrpart.

  Michael