Re: [avrdude-dev] device signature string

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] device signature string
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:55:23 +0100

On Friday 12 December 2003 19:24, Michael Mayer wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 18:46:20 +0100, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:
> Unfortunatly, pgm->initialize includes the code to tell the
> programmer which part we want to use. But at this time this is not
> known, so I had to seperate this part of the initialization into a
> second init function which is called after the signature is read
> and evaluated.

Have  you thought about using the 't' command for autodetection. This
should work as long as this is really a bootloader.

> This additional simple function is used only for autodetection
> purposes and the original functions and datastructures to read the
> signature are still included and functional. They were designed to
> be very flexible and even the length of the signature is specified
> for ever single part in avrdude.conf. I'm not shure about the
> reason for this. In AVR910 the signature is specified to be always
> three bytes long. Do you think it is still neccassary to be that
> flexible? Is there a possible scenario where it is not sufficient
> just to read three bytes?

IMHO the reason for this is that a memory type allows you to specify
the command for reading. If you implement signature as memory you
must give a length, of course ;-(

So, the question is, if Atmel will ever change the command for reading
signature bytes. I don't think they will dare, but who knows?

/Jan-Hinnerk