[avrdude-dev] avr.c cleanups

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avrdude-dev] avr.c cleanups
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:13:07 -0800 (PST)

Jan-Hinnerk,

I haven't been following your avr.c cleanup patches too closely as I've
been busy with other stuff, so I don't know exactly what you've been
doing.

Do you remember this post?

  http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2003-09/msg00026.html

Have you given it any thought? That may also allow pushing the progress
reporting up and give us more control over when it happens.

>From a high level design perspective, I think that it make more sense
and is more logically clear to handling reading and writing in a general
to specific manner. Such as:

  device -> page -> byte

All programmers should provide a page based read and write method that
gets called in avr.c. Then, leave the byte programming issue up to the
programmer.

This would be a fairly deep change though and should definitely wait
until after the next release, but not too long afterward.

I'd work in this myself, but I am deep in simulavr land on the moment.

Ted Roth