Re: [avrdude-dev] chip_erase and cycle_count cleanup

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] chip_erase and cycle_count cleanup
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:35:52 +0100

On Sunday 30 November 2003 19:46, Brian Dean wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 07:31:36PM +0100, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
wrote:
> > as discussed earlier, I would like to have an
> > avr_chip_erase() in "avr.c" which does
> > - avr_get_cycle()
> > - pgm->chip_erase()
> > - avr_set_cycle()
>
> Yep - sounds good.
>
> > BTW: Perhaps it would also be good to implement erase as an
> > "update".
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I mean enqueue the erase operation in "updates" and have it done in
do_op(). And perhaps make it selectable by "-U", later.

This way you can do things like Read EEPROM, Erase, Write Flash,
Rewrite EEPROM in one call.

It also aids in seperating the "hot phase" (where you actually change
things on the chip) from the parsing/initialising-part ;-)

/Jan-Hinnerk