Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrpart.c

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrpart.c
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:52:52 +0100

On Saturday 22 November 2003 16:22, Brian Dean wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 04:58:28AM +0100, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
wrote:
> > I think it might be a good idea to move elementary operations on
> > AVRPART and AVRMEM-variables to a new file "avrpart.c".
> > Right now these functions are defined in avr.c and main.c
>
> This sounds fine to me.  The functions you listed look like good
> candidates.

In my current version the only functions a programmer (avr910, stk500,
par) calls from "avr.c" or "main.c" are get_cycle_count(),
set_cycle_count() and report_progress()

To achieve this I also had to move the opcode related functions to
"avrpart.c". Nevertheless, the file is still small compared to other.

However, during the process some interesting questions arose...

1) Why is "config.h" included that often?
"config.h" acts like a kind of include-all, this makes it hard to
detect dependencies.

2) Why are get_cycle_count() and put_cycle_count() used in "main.c" as
well as in "par.c" and "stk500.c", but not in "avr910.c"?
Testing showed that cycle-count is not working on avr910.c (except
using -Y to set).
Why is cycle-count not entirely implemented in "main.c"?

/Jan-Hinnerk