Re: [avrdude-dev] Before a release...

From: Michael Mayer
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Before a release...
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:17:48 +0100

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:38:45 -0500, Brian Dean wrote:
> why is special support for the butterfly when using the avr910
> necessiary?  Doesn't it just have a 6-pin ISP programming header?
> What's special about the butterfly - does it come preloaded with a
> special boot loader or something that the avr910 knows how to talk to?

Sorry, I forgot to clearify these facts in my last mails.

Yes, the butterfly has the ISP header and the documentation states it is
possible to connect it to a AVR910 as usual. Unfortunatly I don't have
access to a AVR910, so I didn't checked it out.

But the Butterfly comes with a integrated RS232 and a preloaded boot loader.
This boot loader claims to be AVR910 compatible but in fact it uses a
"extended subset" of commands for communications. So it is necessary to do
some checks first and use some different commands (Blockmode instead of
singe byte access). Maybe I should write a small README to point out the
differences.

It would have been possible to implement a new programmer type called
"butterfly" to deal with the modified protocol, but the differences are
quite small (two additional functions and a few conditional branches).

  Michael