Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:41:57 -0500

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:45:02PM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> I've digging on google for some reason why and found nothing. I also
> tried tweaking the ppdev stuff in avrdude and came up with nadda.

Well, I updated my P-III 300 to the latest FreeBSD code, exactly what
is running on my faster Athlon and it still programs in 39 seconds -
no change from before.

I did notice that during the programming, according to 'top', avrdude
went to 93% CPU utilization on the slower system, and marched up to
80% utilization on the faster system and looked like it would keep on
rising but the job finished at that point.  So maybe the parallel port
bit banging is more CPU intensive than I first thought, and have a
faster system makes a big difference.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean