Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude

From: idefixx __
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 03:22:22 +0200 (MEST)

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:41:25AM +0200, idefixx __ wrote:
>
> > I have got problems with the programming speed when using AVRdude on
> > the AT90S8535. It needs about 2 min 10 sec to program the AVR with
> > 8192 bytes.
> >
> > There is no speed difference between the Pony-Stk200 dongle or the
> > Dontronics DT006 dongle. But if I program an ATmega163 with 8192
> > bytes (using AVRdude) the programming time is only about 10 seconds.
>
> Certainly sounds odd - unfortunately, I don't have an AT90S8535 in
> order to verify or test.  What OS are you using?  What version of
> AVRDUDE?
>
> Looking at the datasheet for the AT90S8535, it looks like max delays
> should be 9000 for FLASH and 18000 for EEPROM for this part instead of
> 20000 for each repsectively.  Try making that change as see if it
> makes a difference.
>
> -Brian

Hi!
I tried to program the AT90S8535 on Windows XP and on Windows 98. But on
both the OSs programming speed is low (about 2min 15sec for an .a90 file
with 8192 byte). Even after changing the max write delay parameters (to the
values suggested by you) in the avrdude.conf file the programming procedure
didn't
speed up. For both the microcontrollers used in my tests is used two
different crystals with 3,579545 MHz and 7,3782 MHz. The version of AVRdude I
use is
4.1.0.

Regards.
/idefixx