[avrdude-dev] Re: avrdude 4.2.0 Release

From: Brian Dean
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: avrdude 4.2.0 Release
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:31:19 -0400

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:19:29PM -0700, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> I'm thinking (out loud here) that avr.c might need a bit more work to make
> things cleaner in the long run. What about this:
>
>   - Everything in avr.c is page based. The lower level stuff can then take a
>     page and send it a byte at a time if needed. The current logic is
>     starting to get a bit crazy.
>
>   - Do all the demuxing of memspace in avr.c. Currently, all the backends
>     have to duplicate this. Then we'd have methods in each backend for each
>     memory space.
>
> Of course, this is post-release stuff.

Sounds like a good idea.  I personally don't like having to have the
conditionals within avr_write() with regard to whether we are writing
"flash", etc.  I guess this is a case where something like C++ might
provide some advantage over C.  Oops, did I say that?

Of course, we could rewrite in Python and life would be bliss :-)

-Brian